Mt. Carmel Chapel
The Mt. Carmel Chapel is open from 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri and other times by special arrangement. The Chapel is available to rent for non-denominational spiritual celebrations and other special events. Our Chapel features a stage with state of the art lighting and audio/visual equipment. The Chapel design provides perfect acoustics. The Chapel also has cameras for close circuit TV viewing in multiple gathering areas. There is a projector and two drop down screens in the Chapel, one located in the mezzanine and one over the stage. It is a fantastic location to host performances, seminars and meetings. The pews are easily replaced with theater seating.
The Vision of the Mount Carmel Chapel is to provide a peaceful atmosphere that encourages a prayerful and contemplative environment. The chapel is located on the south end of the church, free from all other activities and noise. It is available for special celebrations including Christmas, Mother’s Day, Easter and more. The Chapel will also be available for weddings and other private events and is honored to have hosted the Sangre de Cristo Hospice Reflections ceremony in remembrance of lost loved ones in our area. In 2011, Mount Carmel Catholic Church was transformed into a beautifully renovated Non-denominational Chapel with the purpose of nurturing the spiritual growth of the residents of Trinidad and once again is a spiritual centerpiece for the community. Many of the original stained glass windows grace the chapel walls.
History of Mt. Carmel Church
Mt. Carmel Church, the second Catholic Church erected in Trinidad, was built for the Italian and Spanish speaking immigrants who settled in the area. It is one of only five historical churches in Colorado.
Mt. Carmel Church was built by the Jesuit Fathers in 1907, through the leadership of Rev. A.J. Brunner, S.J., the Pastor of Holy Trinity Parish and Superior of the Jesuit Fathers of Trinidad. It was built as an Italian mission of Holy Trinity Parish in Trinidad, Colorado. The structure of Mt. Carmel is of Italian influence, created by the influential architect Isaac Hamilton Rapp.
In January of 1950, after 27 years of service at Mount Carmel Church, Father Ziccardi announced his departure from Mount Carmel. It was at this time that the Church was changed to an independent city parish with new boundaries and a different congregation.
Father Louis Fitzsimmons took over the parish in 1950 with the focus of establishing a school.
Father Edward Andary, affectionately termed “Father Eddy”, began his administration in 1974. His primary focus was to revive the “ethnic culture” by reviving the Italian custom of the St. Joseph’s Table. During this time, many additional programs were in place at Mount Carmel, including adult study groups, Bible study, and the Confirmation Youth Program.
Father Eddy remained at Mount Carmel Church until 1981 when Fr. John O’Flynn took over. Sadly, in 1984, the Mount Carmel School was closed.
In July of 1998, Mt. Carmel and St. Joseph’s Church were closed, leaving Holy Trinity Church as Trinidad’s only Catholic Church. On August 21, 2008, 10 years following the closing of the Church’s doors, Mt. Carmel was listed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties by the Colorado Historical Society.